University Writing Program and Writing Center seek student social media & marketing specialists to help promote a culture of writing at the University of Denver. In the Writing Program, faculty work with students, faculty, and staff across campus and in our communities through first-year writing courses, writing minor courses, community-engaged learning and outreach, and academic journals. In the Writing Center, faculty and student staff offer individual writing consultations, classroom writing workshops and peer reviews, and a range of other programs.
Social Media & Marketing Specialists help develop, design, and distribute social media and advertising content to communicate about events and advance the mission of the Writing Program and the Writing Center. Working collaboratively with a team of student staff, the Social Media & Marketing Specialists research, market, and manage content for the Writing Program and/or Writing Center social media accounts and websites, as well as journals associated with the Writing Program.
Social Media Outreach
- In the first quarter of employment, participate in weekly Writing Center training for new consultants to learn about our practices, values, and ethos
- Maintain the Writing Center and/or Writing Program social media accounts (currently Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook)
- Manage a schedule that includes timely and rhetorical content (visual, written, audio) for the Writing Program and/or Writing Center social media accounts and additional social media initiatives
- Design and create a variety of posts, including visual, written, and audiovisual content, that advertises Writing Center, Writing Program, or Writing Minor events, programs, resources, and practices
- Arrange brief interviews with faculty, staff, and students across campus for social media profiles
- Review and update language across our websites and social media to develop and maintain a consistent Writing Center or Writing Program voice and brand
- Synchronize event marketing efforts for the program/center, including following and updating marketing and social media workflows
- Research and connect with other writing centers or writing programs via their social media accounts
- Research and connect with other academic departments and student support programs across DU’s campus via their social media accounts
- Maintain an active calendar of upcoming writing- and learning-related events at DU, in the area, at other writing centers and writing programs, and nationally, and scheduling posts accordingly
- Promote awareness of diverse rhetorics and writing practices across campus and in our communities
- Keep up with current trends and approaches in marketing and social media outreach
Program or Center Marketing Support
- Maintain and update a list of campus contacts to facilitate communication across campus.
- Support and develop additional outreach initiatives, including blogs, podcasts, and more
- Develop other marketing materials for the Writing Center or Writing Program, including posters, flyers, blog posts, and resources for our website
- Conduct some website maintenance for the Writing Center or Writing Program
- Work with a small team of student staff who assist with social media outreach
- University of Denver undergraduate or graduate student enrolled in fall 2022, winter 2023, and spring 2023. If an undergraduate, the student must be of at least sophomore standing, and have passed WRIT 1133
- Confirmed work study award (applicants who do not have a work study award should apply for one through the Student Employment office)
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Expertise in using multiple social media platforms
- Basic knowledge of design principles for social media and marketing
- Excellent communication skills, including the ability to communicate effectively and rhetorically with a diverse range of individuals through visual, aural, and written media
- Experience with organization and project management, including the ability to create achievable schedules and develop content to deadlines
- Willingness to learn actively on the job and to proactively identify areas for growth
- Ability to think creatively and critically and use research to address questions
- Ability to edit and copy-edit documents for external distribution
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of keyword research and Google analytics
- Experience with marketing and advertising events
- Experience with social media or web content development
- Experience with and knowledge of Trello and Slack
- Proficiency in at least one language in addition to English
How to apply:
Please apply by sending a paragraph of interest, your resume, a portfolio with at least five samples of social media content that you have created, and the name of one academic or professional reference via email to Dr. Juli Parrish, Writing Center Director, at email@example.com. Interviews will be held via Zoom.
***Please confirm in your paragraph of interest that you have a work study award or have applied for one.***
Questions? Write to firstname.lastname@example.org.