As part of the transition to Digication, Portfolio is going away! Portfolio will be fully decommissioned on July 1, 2024. As of July 1, 2023, there will be a new content freeze in Portfolio. You will not be able to add new pieces of content to your personal or organizational Portfolio. Existing content is still editable. Please continue to migrate your existing content from Portfolio to Digication. For more information about Digication, click here. For a discussion of options for transitioning your content on Portfolio, click here. To learn more about using Digication in your courses, click here.

Reflections

•  

I wasn’t sure what to expect coming back to college after so many years being away from academia.  I was excited, nervous, and making jokes about me being the oldest person in the room other than the professor. Would I be able to relate to people who were in such a different place in life then me? How tough would that transition be? These were all questions that I couldn’t answer until I jumped into it. 

Nothing was really as difficult as I thought it might be. I got to meet plenty of non-traditional students while in the transfer writing class. Even with my worries about not being able to relate, there were plenty of interesting people that I was able to find commonality with. The writing itself didn’t feel as dry as I thought it would. Getting to get outside, exploring, eating, and connecting with each other outside of a sterile classroom environment made it a much more impactful experience. It didn’t feel as much like assigned work, but more like a guided exploration of an idea. 

The idea that I was exploring was about understanding my shopping habits. Not just my personal actions, but how intertwined those activities and environments are tied up in family nostalgia, social connection, and impulsive behaviors. I wouldn’t say I necessarily proved anything in my writing, however I did create a plausible narrative about my habits and ongoings of my subculture. Do I change my behaviors based on what I know? Maybe. Or perhaps I just do those things more intentionally, acknowledging the many factors that encourage me to participate in the culture of consumption.

This portfolio last updated: 06-Sep-2020 11:17 PM