The CAIS Certificate Program
Canine-Assisted Intervention Specialist (CAIS) Certificate Program
A Professional Certificate Program for Classroom Teachers and Advanced-Degree Mental-Health Therapists through the Institute for Human-Animal Connection
Practitioners around the world are working with dogs in their practice. Yet do they know enough about their canine partners? The Canine-Assisted Intervention Specialist program is competency-based and uses current best practices. It emphasizes thorough knowledge of and skill with canines for classroom teachers and advanced-degree mental-health professionals and graduate students.
- Start by taking a clear look at your own preferences and biases
- Gain hands-on experience with multiple canines through a required partnership with a community organization
- Progress by delving deeply into canine behavior, selection, training, health and wellness, and more
- Enter the home stretch by learning techniques for your clients or students
- Finish by presenting your progress to your cohort colleagues
CAIS may be completed wherever you live. CAIS utilizes a hybrid educational model where most coursework is completed online, two (separate) weekends are spent in Denver, and fieldwork with multiple canines takes place in your city. This unique model will allow you to practice and utilize your canine skills, which you will develop through online and in-person learning, with a community organization benefiting both local dogs and your education!
You can learn more about the other educational offerings through the Institute for Human-Animal Connection by visiting the website: https://www.du.edu/humananimalconnection