In order to be eligible to work toward the CAIS certificate, learners must have an agreement with a local canine organization for access to work with multiple canines weekly (please read the Fieldwork page for more details).
In addition to the fieldwork agreement, CAIS applicants must have successfully completed one of the following:
- Animals and Human Health (AHH) Certificate with IHAC
- Equine-Assisted Mental Health (EAMH) Certificate with IHAC
- Animal-Assisted Social Work (AASW) Certificate with MSW at DU
or in special circumstances, the IHAC Professional Development Coordinator may conduct a telephone interview to determine if applicants who meet both of the following criteria may be recommended for admission:
- Master Degree in Human Services (social work, psychology, counseling, nursing, physical therapy, etc.) or an MA/MEd in Education
- Relevant and significant experience in Animal-Assisted Interventions
Please contact the Professional Development Program Coordinator if you have questions about your eligibility or are unsure whether the canine organization you plan to work with meets requirements.