As part of the transition to Digication, Portfolio is going away! Portfolio will be fully decommissioned on July 1, 2024. As of July 1, 2023, there will be a new content freeze in Portfolio. You will not be able to add new pieces of content to your personal or organizational Portfolio. Existing content is still editable. Please continue to migrate your existing content from Portfolio to Digication. For more information about Digication, click here. For a discussion of options for transitioning your content on Portfolio, click here. To learn more about using Digication in your courses, click here.

Kevin Hemminger

• Hometown: Lakewood, Colorado

Degree in progress: Ph.D., Research Methods and Statistics, no declared concentration

Previous degrees: Bachelor’s degree, Criminal Justice (C.U. Denver)
    Master’s degree, Criminal Justice (C.U. Denver)

What inspired you to choose RMS as a field of study?

I was fortunate enough to have just the right professor at CU Denver who recognized my interest in statistics and who recommended I consider applying to the RMS program at DU.  In the criminal justice program, I came to understand how valuable statistics (and the knowledge of working with it) is within any field and immediately knew I wanted to become proficient in statistics at the highest level possible.

What are your research interests?

I’m most interest in research related to the advocacy of the LGBTQ community as it intersects with the criminal justice system.  While I’m interested in interactions between the LGBTQ community and all facets of the criminal justice system (police, courts, and corrections), my planned dissertation focuses on the discrimination and ongoing victimization that occurs against the transgender community in prison at the hands of corrections officers.   Focusing on the construct of resilience – what are the long-term effects of the transgender prison experience.

What are your professional and/or academic goals?

After spending the past 40 years working in Corporate America, I view my completion in the RMS program as a method to transition into academia as the next phase of my career.  My current goal is to become a lecturer/professor at a well-respected college or university teaching statistics at both the undergraduate and graduate levels.

Please list any professional activities/organizations that you are involved in.

Although I to belong to several organizations in the areas of both statistics and criminal justice, my current employment and academic workload don’t allow for much involvement.  Maintaining those association ties, however, does allow me to remain up to date with issues, trends, and current events.

This portfolio last updated: 30-Jan-2023 4:33 PM