• Academic Policies

    Current Academic Probation Policy

    Academic Probation is established by the University of Denver’s “Below 3.0 Grade Point Average” policy (accessible online via the DU Graduate Bulletin), which states that:

    • Any student whose overall grade point average falls below a 3.0 (2.7 for Law Master's, 2.3 for Law JD) is no longer in good academic standing and may be warned, put on probation, suspended or dismissed, depending upon the grade point deficiency. Each quarter on probation, the student must contact the advisor to develop a plan to remedy the academic deficit.
    • If it is numerically impossible for the student to raise the GPA to 3.0 (2.7 for Law Master's, 2.3 for Law JD), or if in the opinion of the student’s advisor, department chair and/or dean, the student is not making academic progress to finish the requirements of the degree, the student will be dismissed from the program.
    • Students whose GPA falls below a 3.0 may not be eligible for some types of financial aid. For more information, see Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP), or contact the Office of Financial Aid for details. The student is ineligible to represent the University in intercollegiate activities.
    • Furthermore, University of Denver policy states that a student cannot fail more than 8 credits of MSW coursework. You can review this policy in the Graded Work Accepted for the Degree section of the Graduate Bulletin, along with other related Academic Standards policies, including Probation and Dismissal and Termination. Dismissal will occur after three consecutive quarters of academic probation or after failing more than eight credits, whichever comes first.
    • Please note that students in Field Internship on Academic Probation are asked to inform their Field placement of their academic status. 
  • Relevant Resources

    It is a student's responsibility to track their academic progress and the associated impacts on their standing in the program. One way to do this is to proactively calculate your GPA and project grade needs for your upcoming terms to meet the required 3.0 or higher GPA, as outlined by the University of Denver’s Academic Standing policies. 

    GPA Calculator

    • Please consider doing your own calculations. Attached above you will also find a GPA calculator for identifying different grade options for this term. It is used by plugging in the number of credits you have under each grade, starting from your first term. For example, in a term if you had an “A” in a 3 credit course, two “Bs” in two different 3 credit courses, and an “F” in a 4 credit course, you would plug in “3” under “A”, “6” under “B” and “4” under “F”. You continue to add the credits for each term. Once you are at your current term, you can plug in different grades for different classes to determine different outcomes. Remember: Pass/Fail classes like Field Internship and Capstone do not count toward your GPA. It is the responsibility of the student to monitor their GPA and academic status
    • VIDEO (watch this video to learn more about how to use the GPA Calculator) 
    • If you identify that it is not mathematically possible to meet the required 3.0 GPA after utilizing the GPA calculator, you may consider adding another course to your upcoming term. Please discuss this with your Faculty Advisor, Student Success Advisor or Professional Advisor prior to doing so. Please keep in mind registration timelines, as listed in the GSSW Academic Calendars  It is recommended that students consult with the DU Office of Financial Aid (onlinefinaid@du.edu or 303-871-4020) regarding changes in credits or quarters in their academic plan. They can outline how aid and awards are dispersed. 

    If you failed courses and believe you may qualify for an academic exception due to extenuating circumstances in your termplease review the Academic Exceptions policy, which is also located at the DU Graduate Bulletin - Academic Exceptions.

    If you failed a required course, please consider retaking that course as soon as possible in your next term and taking advantage of the Course Repeat with GPA Replacement policy below.  

    • If you are retaking a course, you are strongly encouraged to review and consider the Course Repeat with GPA Replacement Policy. In sum, if a student retakes a course that was previously failed (or that they received a “B-“ or below in), they may request to invoke this course repeat with GPA replacement policy. Important: please review the policy in full for comprehensive information on this choice.  It is your responsibility to read the policy in full. Once a student invokes the course repeat with GPA replacement policy for a course, that decision is irrevocable. Requests must be completed by the last date for course withdrawal within the term. We recommend submitting the form as soon as you know you are retaking a course.  
      • The academic, registration, and billing calendar can be found here and here. 
      • The application can be found here.  

     All GSSW policies and procedures can be found in the student handbooks. Please see below. 

    Students whose GPA falls below a 3.0 may not be eligible for some types of financial aid. or more information, see Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP), or contact the Office of Financial Aid for details. 

  • General academic and student resources

    Success in a term can be supported by utilizing available resources. Student resources can also be reviewed below and at the GSSW Student Resource Portal - Student Resource Tab.

    • The Writing Center Website: (303-871-7456) In our free 45-minute consultations, we work with writers individually and in groups to discuss their work and to help them hone their skills and practices, with an eye both on the texts at hand and on the writers' goals and needs.
    • The Research Center Website: (303-871-2905) The Research Center offers expert guidance through the research process. Assistance is provided in refining a topic, finding and evaluating relevant sources, and creating a bibliography, among other topics. A consultation session can ease anxiety about a project or paper and teach research and evaluation skills for life-long learning.
    • Disability Services Program: DSP can be a resource for students and may offer accommodations to students who qualify. You must contact DSP if you believe you would qualify. More information can be found at the DSP Website or at 303-871-3241 | dsp@du.edu.
    • My SSP (Student Support Program) is a confidential support service that can offer 24/7 support at no cost to you. My SSP has counselors available who speak Spanish, Mandarin, Cantonese, Korean, Arabic, French, and English.
    • DU Student Outreach and Support : The DU Student Outreach & Support office is a University resource where trained staff members ensure that students get connected to appropriate campus resources, have a plan of action to meet their goals, and learn how to navigate challenging situations. The Student Outreach and Support office offers support in connection to resources, manages the Student Assistance Fund, and oversees the medical leave of absence process as well. All members of the DU community may activate these services by completing an SOS referral The SOS office may also be reached at sos@du.edu or by calling 303-871-2400. 
    • Leave information: At certain times in graduate school, a student may need a pause in their program. If considering a leave at any point in your program, please let your Student Success Advisor or me know and we can discuss. You will find information on personal and medical leave options at the following links: Personal Leave of Absence Policy | Student Outreach and Support information on Medical Leave - Medical Leave of Absence and Reentry Policy. More information and a student guide can be found on GSSW Student Resource Portal - Student Resources Tab > Leave of Absence. 


This portfolio last updated: 25-May-2023 3:41 PM