2008-09 AY

  • Fall 2008

    • GSFF Meeting
      September 18, 2008

      Call to Order:    4:33

      Attendees:  Katie Arntzen, Justin Borowsky, Patrick Bowen, Julie Corby, Stephen Griffin, Danielle Lewis, Jazalle McClendon, Kyle Pula, Annabel Raab

      President’s Report:
      41 students from GSFF attended the GSAC picnic
      GSAC is going to set up a web site (www.du.edu/GSAC)
      Of the $40 student Activity Fee GSFF/GSAC gets $10, currently the remaining $30 goes for the RTD student passes for grad students, RTD has notified DU that the amount will increase to $32 this year, $34 next year and $38 the year after that.  GSAC plans to do a survey to see if the grad students still want the RTD student pass with the increase in cost.
      GSAC will be asking grad students if they are willing to pay an additional increase of $2 in the Student Activity Fee to allow more money for GSFF/GSAC to fund activities
      At homecoming GSAC will sponsor a GRAD Games.  GSFF plans on having a team and T Shirts
      GSAC is going to establish a mailing list to allow for distribution of information to grad students
      GSAC will be briefed by someone from DU on establishing a smoke free campus
      GSAC is looking for someone to be their representative on the Alcohol Awareness Task Force

      Vice President’s Report: None

      Secretary’s Report:  Approved minutes of June 2, 2008 meeting

      Treasurer’s Report:
      At the beginning of fall quarter we had $1,138.91 in the GSFF account
      We have an out standing transfer of $100 to GSAC for the GSFF share of the picnic expenses.

      Old Business: None

      New Business: None

      Meeting Adjourned: 4:44

     

    • GSFF Meeting

      October 2, 2008

      Call to Order:  4:38

      Attendees:  Katie Arntzen, Justin Borowsky, Patrick Bowen, Christina Cain, Stephen Griffin, Jeff La Frenierre, Patricia Palko, Kyle Pula, Jessica Winkles, Gabor Papp

      President's Report:  President was not in attendance

      Vice President's Report: Reviewed GSAC Items from September 18th meeting.

      Secretary's Report:  Approved minutes of September 18, 2008 meeting

      Treasurer's Report:  The status of the GSFF accounts remain the same as was reported at the September 18, 2008 meeting.

      Old Business: None

      New Business:

      • It was requested that the reps ask their department member for ideas on what GSFF could do as activities during the year.  Is there a desire the part of the GSFF students to do more that just fund conference attendance?  What is the feeling about spending some of the GSFF funds on activities or projects?
      • The next meeting on November 6th will be the meeting where the partial reimbursement request will be processed.  The reps need to gather the request for their departments and bring them to the meeting.

      Meeting Adjourned: 4:53

     

    • November 6, 2008

      Call to Order:  4:32

      Attendees:  Mohammed Albow, Katie Arntzen, Justin Borowsky, Patrick Bowen, Christina Cain, Julie Corby, Stephen Griffin, Jeff La Frenierre, Danielle Lewis, Jazalle McClendon, Patricia Palko, Annabel Raab, Kyle Pula, Li Shao, Jessica Winkles, Richard Froude

      President's Report:  

      • GSAC will be holding the Graduate Research Day on May 7th - all are encouraged to participate
      • GSAC is sponsoring a meeting on FEB 12 from 4:30 - 6:30 in HRTM to discuss "What it means to be a private university dedicated to the public good."  Please submit to Julie the names of possible faculty members for the panel.
      • GSAC is looking into sponsoring a night at a hockey or basketball game
      • All are encouraged to vote on the activity fee increase
      • Discussion was held on the time and dates for the GSFF meetings for winter quarter.  The consensus was that Tuesday afternoons starting at 2:00 PM would be best.  The officers will consider what dates on Tuesdays would work.
      • A request for input on what activities GSFF might wish to fund other than reimbursement for research and conference travel.  Please let Julie know what the GSFF students' thoughts are on this.

      Vice President's Report: No report.

      Secretary's Report:  Approved minutes of October 2, 2008 meeting

      Treasurer's Report:  The balance in the GSFF account is $5,843.60 as of the meeting.  This is prior to deduction of the amounts approved for reimbursements for fall quarter at this meeting.

      Old Business: None

      New Business:

      • The conference travel partial reimbursement requests for summer and fall were received, reviewed and approved.  A total of $5,000 was approved as reimbursement for the requests which resulted in a reimbursement rate of 71% for the presenters requesting partial reimbursement.  No attendee requests were received.

      Meeting Adjourned: 5:30

  • Winter 2009

    • GSFF Meeting
      January 20, 2009

      Call to Order:    2:00

      Attendees:  Katie Arntzen, Jon Belkowitz, Patrick Bowen, Julie Corby, Stephen Griffin, Jeff La Frenierre, Danielle Lewis, Erica Liszewski, Patricia Palko, Kyle Pula, Alexa Hart

      President’s Report: 
      •    GSAC will be holding a Graduate Research Day on May 8th (previous minutes showed an incorrect date of May 7th) – all are encouraged to participate.  There will be both a poster session and presentations.  More info to follow.
      •    GSAC is sponsoring a meeting on FEB 12 from 4:30 – 6:30 in the Leo Block Alumni building to discuss “What it means to be a private university dedicated to the public good.”  There were two faculty members submitted and accepted from GSFF.  The discussion session will be from 4:30 to 5:30 followed by a reception from 5:30 to 6:30.
      •    GSAC has funding available to reimburse grad student research costs.  Check the GSAC portion of the DU web site for forms and details. 
      •    The DU sustainability council is looking for a grad student member.  If interested please contact Julie Corby at Julie.corby@du.edu
      •    There has been discussion at the GSAC meetings on what is the role of grad students at DU and how can the university better support the grad student population.  GSAC would like to know what the grad students think about the following questions:
      o    Do you feel your needs are being met by DU?
      o    What do you need the university to do to make your grad student process successful?
      o    How can GSAC better support the grad student population? 
      o    What types of activities should GSAC be hosting to help the grad student population?
                The GSFF reps should contact their departments and send any input to Julie Corby
                 within the next two weeks.

      Vice President’s Report: No report.

      Secretary’s Report:  Approved minutes of November 6, 2008 meeting

      Treasurer’s Report:  The balance in the GSFF account is $740.60 as of the meeting.  We are expecting about $4,800.00 in student fee monies for the quarter.  This will mean that we can probably fund a total of $5,000 for reimbursements this quarter.

      Old Business: None

       
      New Business: The final meeting of the quarter, where the reimbursements will be processed will be March 10th.

      Adjourned at 2:15

       
    • GSFF Meeting
      February 10, 2009
      Call to Order 2:02
      Attendees:  Katie Arntzen, Justin Borowsky, Patrick Bowen, Julie Corby, Stephen Griffin, Alexa Hart, Jeff La Frenierre, Danielle Lewis, Erica Liszewski, Patricia Palko, Jessica Winkles

      Vice President’s Report:  Nothing to report

      Secretary’s Report:
          Approved minutes of January 20, 2009 meeting
          Secretary will send out future meeting minutes to all GSFF representatives

      Treasurer’s Report:  All is the same as last month

      President’s Report
      •    Panel this Thursday (2/12) from 4:30 – 6:30 at the Leo Block Alumni House – send flyer
      •    Grad Night at the DU-CC hockey game, tickets will be $5 and are available for students only.  The date of the game will be March 7th.  Time will be announced later.  Please let Julie Corby know who is interested at Julie.corby@du.ed.
      •    Project Homeless Connect April 24, 8a-1:30p.  We need to get our department students involved as there wasn’t enough involvement last year and so a number of the people seeking assistance did not get helped.  Our effort will be in the area of helping in the Career Center section of the event by helping with resumes/interviews.  You will need to commit to a  2 hour shift and attend trainings on 4/13 from 1-2p and 4/16 from 10-11
      •    Graduate Research Day Friday 5/8/09 from 1-4pm. JUST POSTERS and artwork, etc. will open registration site on portfolio.  We need to get some support from our department faculty to encourage grad students to participate in the event.
      •    JobJam 2009 Thursday April 2, 2009 from 3 – 10 PM on Driscoll Green. Please pass suggestions for employer participants to Julie.
      •    There has been continued discussion within GSAC on GSAC becoming more of an advocacy organization for the grad students at DU.  The issues are what form this needs to take.  Would it help if GSAC provide a conduit for the grad students to raise issues on the gad student experience at DU including being a way of bringing issues on course availability, equipment availability and appropriateness, and the research funding needs of the students to the administration.  What about GSAC being taking the lead on getting a process in place for gad students to bring their issues to their department and the DU administrations’ attention?
      •    Final GSAC meeting 3/9. Make sure to get your proposals for research funding into Jacob Hahn before then. See the website at www.du.edu/gsac for info.  Remember that the form for funding needs a signature of a GSFF officer (preferable the President) on it before it is submitted to GSAC.  As there is not a meeting of GSFF before the deadline, people seeki

       
    • GSFF Meeting
      March 10, 2009
      Call to Order 2:02
      Attendees:  Katie Arntzen, Patrick Bowen, Christina Cain, Julie Corby, Stephen Griffin, Alexa Hart, Jeff La Frenierre, Danielle Lewis, Erica Liszewski, Patricia Palko, Gabor Papp, Kyle Pula, Jessica Winkles

      Vice President’s Report:  Nothing to report

      Secretary’s Report:
          Approved minutes of February 10, 2009 meeting
          GSAC Items
      ·    There is an effort by the University in preparation for the upcoming re-accreditation visit to develop Graduate – Professional Student Learning Outcomes.  Janette Benson briefed on the project and asked for input from the grad students.  There is a web site, http://portfolio.du.edu/DU_SLO that grad students can go to for more information.  The handout from the GSAC meeting was provided to the attendees and this handout is supposed to be sent out electronically by the GSAC President at a later date.  Input will be needed by week 3 or 4 of Spring Quarter.
      ·    GSAC took a vote at the meeting and decided to oppose the tobacco ban initiative.  It is understood that the Faculty Senate has opposed the imitative and so there is not a high likelihood that the initiative will be adopted.  GSAC’s opposition was not strong.
      ·    A reminder on Grad Research Day was made.  There was an email sent out before the meeting on this.
      ·    The next deadline for funding request for GSAC is April 6th.  This is earlier than normal due to needing to be before Grad Research Day on May 8th.

      Treasurer’s Report: 
      ·    The balance in the GSFF account is $4,500
      ·    We owe GSAC $100 for the tickets for the hockey game
      ·    We need to pay for the food and beverage for the meeting
      ·    We allocated $4,000 for reimbursement

      President’s Report
      ·    It was decided that Art and Art History needed to pay for the two hockey tickets that they asked for but didn’t use.  HCOM needs to provide the money for their hockey tickets.  The funds for the tickets that GSFF received will be transferred to GSAC the week of March 16th.
      ·    The president will pass on the preferences from the GSFF members on the tobacco ban initiative to GSAC and the Health Center.

      New Business

      ·    The non-attendance by the English and Computer Science representatives at GSFF meetings was discussed.  Based on their not attending at least two of the GSFF meetings during the quarter the departments are in violation of the GSFF By-Laws.  It was decided that the penalty for the violation would be that the English and Computer Science Departments’ reimbursements for the quarter would be reduced by half.  Both departments have promised to have someone attend the future meetings. 
      ·    The requests for partial reimbursement of conference and meeting expenses for the quarter were reviewed and approved.  The reimbursement rates for the requests were set at 21.27% for presenters and 16.72% for attendees at conferences.  This resulted in approving a total amount for the requests of $4,000.
      ·    The Secretary will send out an email requesting input on the day and time for next quarter’s meetings.

      Adjourned:  4:00

  • Spring 2009

    • GSFF Meeting
      April 8, 2009
      Call to Order 1:02
      Attendees:  Mohammed Albow, Katie Arntzen, Azure Avery, Patrick Bowen, Christina Cain, Julie Corby, Stephen Griffin, Alexa Hart, Jessica Jenness, Erica Liszewski, Jazalle McClendon, Kyle Pula, Li Shao, Jamie Lomax, Jenny Herron

      Vice President’s Report:  Nothing to report

      Secretary’s Report:
          Approved minutes of March 10, 2009 meeting

      Treasurer’s Report: 
      ·    The disbursement to our account for spring quarter has not happened yet.
      ·    We disbursed $4,500 at our last meeting

      President’s Report
      ·    HCOM has still not paid for their hockey tickets.  The department head and graduate director will be contacted by the secretary
      ·    Grad Research Day is Friday, May 8th from 1-4.  If interested sign up on portfolio at http://portfolio.du.edu/graduatestudentresearchday
      ·    Project Homeless Connect will occur on Friday, April 24th.  There will be shifts for people to volunteer for from 7-9, 9-11, & 11-1:30.  The gad students will be helping out in the area that provides assistance to the clients on resumes and job searches.  Last year there were not enough people and so some clients did not get help.  Everyone is encouraged to participate this year.  If interested there is mandatory training you must complete available on either Monday, April 13th from 1-2 or on Thursday, April 16th from 10-11.
      ·    It has been requested that we all check with our departments to see if there is a person in the department that provides assistance / guidance to students on student life matters.  Please let Julie know what you find out.
      ·    The GSAC elections for next year’s officers will be on May 13th.  If interested contact Julie and attend the GSAC meeting on May 13th.
      ·    GSAC is forming a Grad Student Care group to discuss grad student issues, problems, and solutions.  First meeting will be the end of April.  If you are interested in participating in the group contact Julie.
      New Business

      ·    The change to the bylaws proposed at the March 10th meetings was discussed and the change as proposed at the March 10th meeting was adopted.
      ·    Funding of research expenses by GSFF was discussed.  It was decided that we would do a pilot program this quarter with a maximum amount per student of $100.  The President and Vice President will develop procedures and guidelines and bring them to the next meeting.  It was requested that we all contract the grad students in our department and find out what types of research expenses they would like to see funded.  This will be discussed and finalized at the April 29th meeting

       
    • GSFF Meeting
      April 29, 2009
      Call to Order 1:00
      Attendees:  Katie Arntzen, Azure Avery, Patrick Bowen, Christina Cain, Julie Corby, Stephen Griffin, Alexa Hart, Ilana Kurtzig, Jessica Jenness, Danielle Lewis, Jamie Lomax, Erica Liszewski, Patricia Palko, Nathan Evan, Kyle Pula, Beverly Natividad, Sarah Soriano, David Fodel

      Vice President’s Report:  Nothing to report

      Secretary’s Report:
          Approved minutes of April 8, 2009 meeting

      Treasurer’s Report: 
      ·    We have $5,460.60 in our account

      President’s Report
      ·    Grad Research Day is Friday, May 8th from 1-4 in Driscoll Ballroom.  All are encouraged to attend. 
      ·    The GSAC elections will be at the May 13 meeting at 11:00 Am in the Dean’s Dining Room of Daniel’s College of Business
      ·    The Associate Provost for Research candidate interviews with grad students will be on May 4, 8 and 14. An email with details was sent out after the meeting.
      ·    The next meeting of the Graduate Student Care Initiative will be coming up at the end of May.

      Other Business
      ·    Elections for next year’s officers were held.  The following people were elected to the offices shown
      o    President – Patricia Palko
      o    Vice President – Beverly Natividad
      o    Treasurer – Azure Avery
      o    Secretary – (This is still open)

      ·    Funding of research expenses by GSFF was discussed.  It was decided to do reimburse for expenses paid by students requesting reimbursement this quarter.  There will be a one time funding allocation for research reimbursement request of $1,000.  Requesters must show that the research ahs been approved by their department and by the IRB.  The issue will be revisited next year and adjustments made on the policy and procedures.


This portfolio last updated: 24-Jan-2023 12:47 PM