My teaching, advising, and mentoring is grounded in the ideals of democracy, the public purposes of education, and developing engaged citizens. In this way, I strive to foster learning environments where students are active participants and co-designers of their academic experiences. To achieve these philosophical goals, I foster democratic engagement through dialogue, discussion, collaboration, and community through building relationships within the classroom, the community, and the profession of higher education. I employ pedagogical strategies like service-learning, community-based research, student-faculty partnerships, and other techniques to foster participation by all students.
Examples of Courses Taught
- Introduction to Higher Education
- Student Affairs Administration in Higher Education
- Assessment in Higher Education
- Students and the College Environment
- Seminar: Contemporary Issues in Student Affairs and Public Policy
- Seminar: Civic Engagement in Higher Education