Graduation and Commencement
Check here for resources and information to make sure you're ready to graduate and walk at Commencement.
Graduation and Commencement Definitions
Commencement: Commencement is the symbolic ceremony held by the University to mark the beginning of your new professional life. DU holds commencement ceremonies twice each year (June and August).
- The act of participating in the commencement ceremony does not mean you have completed/earned your degree.
Participating or walking: The act of participating in the commencement ceremony; sometimes referred to as “walking,” in reference to crossing the stage during commencement ceremony.
Graduation or to graduate: Graduation marks the completion and formal conferral of an academic degree.
- This is when DU officially confers your degree. It means your degree is reflected on your transcript and is a part of your record. This happens only after final grades are posted and successful completion of all degree requirements are verified. Grades are posted after Commencement.
Graduation Application DeadlinesAll students must apply to be considered for graduation via MyDU, as outlined in these step-by-step directions.IMPORTANT NOTE for DENVER CAMPUS PROGRAM: If you have a certificate, you must fill out two, seperate graduation applications: one for your MSW, and one for your certificate.
Graduation Application Deadlines
- Fall Quarter 2022: June 21, 2022***
- Winter Quarter 2023: September 19, 2022***
- Spring Quarter 2023: January 10, 2023
- Summer Quarter 2023: April 3, 2023
- Fall Quarter 2023: June 19, 2023
***If it is past the deadline, please apply via the Late Graduation Application, here.
You can verify your graduation application on your Student Profile. You will see a section entitled “Graduation Information,” which will list any active graduation applications you may have. After conferral, your degree will also populate in this section.
Looking for tools to plan out your schedule? See the Advising + Academic Planning tab
When will my degree post? When will I receive my diploma?
Your degree posts 4 to 6 weeks after grades post.
Your diploma is mailed out 7-8 weeks after grades post.
- Summer Quarter 2022: Friday, August 26, 2022
- Fall Quarter 2022: Wednesday, November 30, 2022
- Winter Quarter 2023: Friday, March 24, 2023
- Spring Quarter 2023: Friday, June 16, 2023
- Summer Quarter 2023: TBA
You can verify your grades or whether your degree has posted via your unofficial transcripts (accessibleon your Student Profile). *If you do not see a grade posted, reach out to your instructor right away.*
Diploma information and how to check the status of your diploma can be found here. If you do not receive your diploma 8 weeks after grades post, please email email@example.com with your name, your program, and your DU ID.
Offical transcripts are ordered online, here.
DU Commencement Ceremony
The DU Office of the Chancellor holds commecement ceremonies twice each year in June and August. Please visit DU's Commencement page for the following information:
- Ceremony Details
- Graduation Checklist
- Graduation Photos and Video
- What to do at Commencement
- Guest information
- Livestream information
- and more!
For questions about DU Commencement, please visit the DU Commencement page.
For DU policies and procedures governing commencement ceremonies, please visit the DU Graduate Bulletin.
- The Spring DU Commencement Ceremony in held in June each year, and is open to students that graduated during the previous Fall Quarter or Winter Quarters, as well as current Spring Quarter graduation candidates.
- Summer Quarter graduation candidates are eligible to particiapte in the Summer DU Commencement Ceremony, which is held in August each year.
- The DU Commencement website WILL NOT have any information posted regarding the August Ceremony until after the conclusion of the June Ceremony.
Stay connected to the GSSW Community following graduation!
From Career Services to Alumni Engagement, our GSSW teams are here to support you as the next chapter of your journey begins!
- Important! GSSW Alumni Resource Guide (All Programs)
- New! What’s Next GSSW Grad? Provided by Career Services & Alumni Engagement, this presentation is designed to answer your questions as you transition from student to graduate.
- Don't Forget! Even though you may plan to continue to use your DU email following graduation, we strongly recommend that you update your contact info and add an alternate email address to your PCO and PioneerWeb profiles, so we can keep in touch with you following graduation. If you need assistance, you are welcome to contact the DU IT helpdesk.
Have questions? We invite you to contact us: