• Resources

  • Billing
    Contact the DU Bursar's Office
    Tuition and Fees
    Information located on the DU Registrar Website

    Please see full leave of absence information and process under the Student Resources tab > Leave of Absence drop down section.

    Comprehensive Leave of Absence Student Guide - All GSSW Programs  

    Withdrawal & Leave of Absence How-To in MyDU 

    Planning for a leave:

    *Please review the linked student guides above*

    In order to prepare appropriately for a leave of absence from DU/GSSW, students are encouraged to ensure that all implications are considered in advance. Students are also encouraged to reach out to their respective financial aid contact, listed below, and to discuss any part-time academic planning interest with their designated advisor(s). Additional considerations are listed below.

    • Withdrawal considerations: Review the DU Registrar’s Withdrawal From DU site, the Graduate Bulletin’s Student Withdrawal from the University, and Things to Consider Prior to Withdrawing
    • Financial Aid contact for Denver Campus, Four Corners, and Western Colorado students: Victoria Veres, Associate Director of Enrollment and Financial Aid at 303-871-2779 or Victoria.Veres@du.edu
    • Financial Aid contact for MSW@Denver students: The University of Denver Office of Financial Aid at finaid@du.edu or 303-871-4020.
      • Important Note: Students should be clear about the impact of withdrawal on loan repayment requirements as well as scholarships, teaching assistantships, and other forms of University aid. It is the student’s responsibility to contact the appropriate financial aid office above to verify all implications before taking a leave of absence.
    • Do you have the DU student health insurance (applies to Denver Campus students only)? If so, please reach out to the DU Health and Counseling Center to identify if there will be coverage changes due to taking a leave. Contact information: insurance@hcc.du.edu or 303-871-2205.
    • Are you in a field internship? If so, please consult with your Field Liaison prior to withdrawing from field internship to discuss the best way to approach a leave with your agency. If you withdraw from field credits during a term, you may risk losing your field hours for that Students cannot take a leave of absence and continue in field internship, as a leave of absence is a full withdrawal from a current or future term.
    • Are you thinking about taking a leave while in the middle or end of a term? Have you considered the option of Incompletes or a combination of course drops and Incompletes to finish the term out? This option requires meeting the eligibility criteria established by DU and instructor discretion for each individual course. It is the student’s responsibility to initiate these conversations and to be aware of all DU deadlines and withdrawal timelines (e.g. Academic, Registration, and Billing Calendar and GSSW Student Resource Portal - Registrar Calendars).

    Types of Leaves and Processes:

    • Personal Leave of Absence Policy: A graduate student may withdraw from the University temporarily or permanently for non- medical Students do not need to meet eligibility criteria for this type of leave. A personal leave does not “stop the clock” on the Time Limit for Completion of the Degree. Students apply for this leave through MyDU (see the process outlined below) and requests are processed through the DU Registrar.
    • Medical Leave of Absence and Medical Reentry Policies: A medical leave of absence may be requested for serious mental and/or physical conditions that prevent a student from functioning successfully or safely as a member of the University
      • This leave is managed through the DU Office of Student Outreach and Support, sos@du.edu. Students should review the policy linked above, which lists steps, qualifications, and medical documentation requirements. The mandatory application can be found here: Application for Medical Leave of Absence. As a reminder, students do not send this application or any medical documentation to the Graduate School of Social Work; instead, students seeking a medical leave must work directly with the DU Office of Student Outreach and Support. A medical leave does “stop the clock” on the Time Limit for Completion of the Degree.


    • Withdrawing and taking a leave: Students who intend to take a leave for a future term must not register during the term in Students who are currently enrolled during the quarter in which they intend to begin a leave of absence must first withdraw officially from all courses before proceeding. Students who fail to withdraw may be liable for full tuition and fee charges, and a failing grade may be recorded for every course for which the student is registered. Per DU policy, if after a certain part of the term (generally after week 6), students must receive written approval from instructors via the add/drop form to withdraw from their given course(s), if required per established deadlines. Students must send this documentation to the DU Registrar (Registrar@du.edu) within the stipulated timelines. Important dates for add/drop, instructor drop approval dates, tuition refund percentages, and registration can be found at DU Registrar Academic, Registration, and Billing Calendar and the GSSW Student Resource Portal - Registrar Calendars.
      • To withdraw and submit a leave request: Students can complete withdraw and leave of absence requests via MyDU > Student Resources (on left side) > Records and Requests > Withdraw from DU. During the withdraw process, you will be prompted to provide additional information for the leave as applicable. A step-by-step guide for withdrawing and requesting leave can be found under “Leave of Absence” at the GSSW Student Resource Portal- Student Resources Tab

    For additional guidance and support through this process, please contact GSSW Advising at GSSW.Advising@du.edu.

    Access unofficial transcripts and order official transcripts via PioneerWeb
    Instructions located on the DU Registrar Website
    Diplomas and Certificates
    Mailed by DU Registrar 6-8 weeks after end of graduation term
    Contact the DU Registrar with questions 

    Appointed Faculty
    See faculty profiles on GSSW's website

    Adjunct Faculty
    See Faculty Archive  COMING SOON

    GSSW Syllabus Archive

    Enrollment, GPA, and Degree Verifications
    Students should complete the verification request  located in MyDU>Student Tools>Records and Requests>Requests and Other Actions>click on Request Enrollment or Degree Verification.
    Additional Verifications
    The GSSW Registrar can complete verifications for current students and alumni, including: 
         * Social work licensure
         * School social work licensure endorsement
         * Federal loan papwork
    Please submit forms to gsswregistrar@du.edu. Note: If requesting a letter, be sure to include all relevant information, including content required and recipient name and contact information.
    Withdrawing from a class
    Students can withdraw themselves from classes through week 6 via the Registration Platform in MyDU.  Instructor approval is not required until week 7.
    Note: dropping all courses for the quarter constituents withdrawing from GSSW and DU.  Students must complete the withdrawl process (see the following).
    Withdrawing from GSSW and DU
    Students who wish to withdraw from all of their classes must complete the withdrawal process, Withdrawal Information Packet. You will have the option to take a Leave of Absence as part of the Withdrawal process. After reviewing the Withdrawl Information Packet, you will need to complete the withdrawl process. Log into  your MyDU>type "withdraw from DU" inthe search box>click first link>complete the prompts. 

This portfolio last updated: 25-May-2023 3:41 PM