Denver Campus Fall 2021 Orientation
Welcome to GSSW! Please review the information below to orient yourself as new, incoming admits to the Denver Campus Program.
We are excited for you to join GSSW this fall. Orientation is required for all incoming students and is designed to familiarize students with community resources, expectations, and opportunities as you begin your journey with us.
Due to COVID-19, we have transitioned the Fall Orientation from an in-person experience to a fully online format. Your safety and well-being are our main priority. We want to keep you as informed as possible regarding online orientation, so we have updated the GSSW Admitted Student Resource Portal with helpful information.
If you have any additional questions, please contact us at email@example.com.
Schedule: Please visit the Denver Campus Fall 2021 Denver Campus Orientation page to view the schedule of events. Zoom links for each session are included below the session title.
Checklist: Review the Fall 2021 Orientation Checklist.docx (table format on page 1 and written format on page 2) to ensure you are prepared for the start of the program.
Asynchronous Materials: The asynchronous pre-orientation work lives on DU’s Learning Management System (LMS), Canvas. You can access the asynchronous work by logging into Canvas with your DU credentials at canvas.du.edu.
You will need your DU ID # and password to register and access DU systems.
1. Social and Campus Connections: Wednesday, Sept. 15, 2021 from 9:00am to 10:30am
Join us for optional campus tours! This will be an in-person, post-orientation event available to students who want to connect with one another and learn more about campus resources. There is limited space on these tours so please RSVP here by 11:59pm on Sunday, September 12. You must be “cleared for campus” to attend.
2. Virtual Community Social: Wednesday, Sept. 15, 2021 from 11:00am to 11:45am
Social time for GSSW faculty and staff with students! Join us for time in community breakout rooms and some questions for connection. Please register here (required) for this virtual event. Hope to see you there!
3. Drop-In Hours: Wednesday, Sept. 15, 2021 from 12:30pm to 2:00pm
*Drop-in hours are optional. Please attend any session that may be helpful for you.
(01) 12:30 to 2:00 pm - Academic Affairs drop-in hours with Denver Campus Program Director, Kate Ross and Associate Dean for Academic Affairs, Leslie Hasche
(02) 12:30 to 2:00 pm – Field drop-in hours with Field Faculty, Jessica Zaslav and Assistant Dean for Field Education and Community Partnerships, Aneesha Bharwani
Orientation activities will take place on Zoom. Please see the orientation schedule above for the designated Zoom links for each orientation activity. Create your DU Zoom account using your DU email address and Pioneer Web password. If you have questions about your DU email address, please visit the DU IT Student Resources page. Log out of personal email and zoom accounts before logging into DU email and DU Zoom account.
- All full- and part-time students engaged in in-person learning on campus must receive a Covid vaccine. Read more on the DU Protocols for Returning to Campus page.
- In order to obtain a DU ID card (which is required to access campus buildings, including classes), you must submit an online photo. If done 2 weeks prior to returning to campus, you may elect to have your DU ID card mailed to a preferred address by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your full name, mailing address, DU ID number, date of birth in the email request. Otherwise, you can collect your card from the DU ID Card office at the beginning of your first quarter, once you are cleared to be on campus.
- Campus COVID-19 protocols are changing. For the most up to date information please continue to monitor COVID -19 DU.
- If you have not yet done so, please immediately upload your vaccine record to the MyHealth portal. People without a verified full vaccination record or an approved exemption will lose access to campus on Sept. 1, 2021. Only medical and religious exemptions are permitted for any higher education personnel, including employees, student employees, contractors and regular volunteers, pursuant to a recent Denver public health order. Please remember you must test within 48 hours of your fall start. Badge access will not be activated without testing within 48 hours of return. We appreciate your compliance with these return to campus requirements and your ongoing cooperation with badging into buildings, testing and wearing face coverings.
- Vaccinated and unvaccinated individuals must follow separate requirements to return to campus.
- To edit your DU Student Profile, find your registration or schedule information and to check campus access status, use PioneerWebYou will login with your DU ID and password.
- To upload your vaccination record, schedule a medical appointment or get information about COVID testing, visit MyHealth.du.edu.
- For more information about where to submit your COVID vaccination documentation, please go to DU's Health and Wellness Vaccinations section.
For Fall Orientation Break-out Sessions, you will need to look up your assigned faculty advisor and field liaison in advance. Once you are in the orientation sessions with advisors and Field, you will be asked to self-select a Zoom breakout room with your assigned advisor and liaison. Please utilize the resources below to be prepared for the sessions.
1. How do I find my assigned faculty advisor?
Coming Soon: We will post a list in Canvas or provide look-up instructions the week of orientation!
2. How do I know who my GSSW Liaison is?
Starting Wednesday, September 8, log into the student page of the GSSW Internships Database and you will see your Liaison’s name listed under the Field Liaison name in your confirmed placement.
3. What if I haven’t confirmed an internship yet?
That’s ok! Please continue to search. If you need help with your search, please reach out to email@example.com so we can connect you with a Field Advisor if you don’t have one. You are still required to attend the Field Session. We will have a group for you to join.
Save the Date!
ORIENTATION INFORMATION IS FOR DENVER CAMPUS STUDENTS ONLY
This year, Fall Orientation activities will include mandatory sessions on:
- Thursday, September 9, 2021
- Friday, September 10, 2021.
Orientation will be a combination of mandatory asynchronous work (work completed on your own prior to orientation), live group sessions with GSSW leadership, and optional office hours where you can seek individual answers to specific questions. The live sessions will build upon the asynchronous materials in Canvas so please come prepared with questions and be ready to engage session leaders.
GSSW Social and Campus Connections
We will host optional DU campus tours from 9:00 to 10:30am on Wednesday, September 15. This will be an in-person orientation event available to students who want to connect with one another and learn more about campus resources. There is limited space on these tours so please RSVP here by 11:59pm on Sunday, September 12. You must be "cleared for campus" to attend.