Hampden Art Study Center
Click to download a PDF version
Welcome to the Hampden Art Study Center at the University of Denver!
The new Hampden Art Study Center (HASC) is DU’s first facility designed for the storage, examination and preparation of artworks in an educational setting. It provides a secure climate-controlled space for access to and care of the University Art Collections. Collections management staff, including graduate students of the School of Art and Art History, now have a dedicated and secure workspace in which to research, handle, catalog, photograph and manage DU art holdings. Altogether there are over 3000 cataloged artworks located at the HASC! You can browse the collections at http://vicki-myhren-gallery.du.edu/university-art-collections/.
Can I use the HASC?
Yes! It was designed especially for the benefit of DU students, faculty members and classes. It is open by appointment both for individual research and class sessions. For the 2013-2014 academic year, funds are available to assist with transporting classes to and from the HASC. It’s an easy 15-minute ride each way, so it’s possible to schedule a meaningful visit during a two-hour class period.
The HASC is open by appointment to researchers with a defined project involving artworks in the University Art Collections We request that you provide as much notice as possible of a possible visit. To request a visit please contact our collections manager, Sabena Kull, at Sabena.Kull@du.edu.
Housed in 4000 square feet of newly renovated space off-campus, the HASC includes these spaces:
• Temperature- and humidity-controlled art storage
• Art Collections Project Space (for preparation, handling, framing, and small-scale art conservation projects; with natural light, fume extraction, sinks and rolling work surfaces)
• Art Examination Seminar Room (a naturally lit room for small and medium-sized group meetings and for examination of artworks)
• Photo Studio (an interior room both for the secure storage of all photographic collection materials and for object photography)
• Prints & Drawings Study (a fully equipped interior space for the storage, handling, and informal display of prints, drawings and other works on paper; our largest space for class sessions)
We hope to see you there!
Hampden Art Study Center, 10311 W. Hampden Ave. Frontage Rd. South, Lakewood, CO 80235
Directions to HASC
Directions to DU’s Hampden Art Study Center:
10311 W. Hampden Ave. South, Lakewood, CO 80235
From the DU campus:
• Head west on Evans Ave, turning south on Santa Fe
• Continue south on Santa Fe to Hampden Ave (Hwy 285) heading west [Note: This is labeled Hwy 285 South—but you’ll be headed due west!]
• Take the exit for Kipling Blvd South
• Turn left on Kipling Blvd South and drive under the highway
• Turn right at the second light, onto Hampden Ave. Frontage Road South
• You'll pass a giant fire station on right, then a self-storage facility, and turn right into the well-marked Penrose Collection Hampden Center parking lot. We're the last door at the NW corner of the facility, under the "Hampden Art Study Center" sign. You can park right in front.
Final notes on directions:
If you map the address on the internet, make sure you are looking at Hampden Ave. South, as there’s an identical address on the other side of the highway; if you're on the north side of the highway, head back to Kipling and go under the highway heading south!
Coming from the downtown area, we recommend coming west on 6th Avenue/Highway 6, then several miles south on Kipling, continuing under the highway to Hampden Frontage Road South as described above.