As part of the transition to Digication, Portfolio is going away! Portfolio will be fully decommissioned on July 1, 2024. As of July 1, 2023, there will be a new content freeze in Portfolio. You will not be able to add new pieces of content to your personal or organizational Portfolio. Existing content is still editable. Please continue to migrate your existing content from Portfolio to Digication. For more information about Digication, click here. For a discussion of options for transitioning your content on Portfolio, click here. To learn more about using Digication in your courses, click here.

Study Abroad

  • Study Abroad for Academic Credit

    Students may take courses abroad, including summer/interterm programs and quarter/semester programs. These programs may be offered or sponsored by the University of Denver, other U.S. universities or organizations, or involve direct enrollment in a university abroad. If students are planning to participate in a study abroad program for credit, it must be graduate-level coursework related to the IIC Program.  They will need to consult with the DU Office of International Education and the IIC Director or advisor. If students participate in a program sponsored by the Office of Special Programs or a DU department, they should coordinate with the IIC office.

    Graduate Financial Aid

    The cost of DU-sponsored programs varies, but typically includes DU tuition plus travel-related costs.  In some cases, financial aid is available to help with the cost of international programs or courses.  Graduate students must be registered for at least half-time enrollment to be eligible for these financial aid awards. They should be registered at DU based on the credits pre-approved by the department. In turn, financial aid awards will be based on the registration credit. Students will not receive financial aid for a non-credit program or language study abroad. Summer financial aid is determined separately from the academic year. Students are encouraged to speak directly with the Financial Aid Office for details on their specific aid package.

    DU Summer/Interterm Programs
    The Office of International Education coordinates several International Service Learning Programs available to graduate students.  Interterm courses are offered through the Office of Special Programs.

    Many academic units offer their own international courses, which vary by term. For example, the Graduate School of Social Work offers several international courses for its students including Global Relations and Poverty in Mexico, and Social Work from a Chinese Perspective. The Daniels College of Business offers global options for the MBA Enterprise Solutions course, and coordinates other international travel courses in fields such as Management and Real Estate/Construction Management.

    Unaffiliated Programs

    Students may also opt to participate in an unaffiliated program, which may be a program sponsored by another U.S. university, a study abroad program provider, or direct enrollment in a university abroad as a visiting student. It is important to examine the level of courses offered when searching for programs, as many study abroad programs only offer undergraduate credit. There are many opportunities for graduate students to enroll directly in a university abroad, provided they are proficient in the language of instruction. Students who participate in an unaffiliated program, will pay the program cost directly to the program sponsor/university. If participating in a credit-bearing program, they will be registered at DU in a study abroad placeholder course, and will pay a $50 Study Abroad Administrative fee plus the DU Technology fee.  Please note that in order to be registered in the placeholder course, students must take graduate level coursework and receive approval from their department to transfer the credit towards their DU degree requirements.

    Students may use the resources provided by the Office of Internationalization to browse opportunities. If students have a particular destination in mind and are interested in direct enrollment options, they can also search for universities in that country and go directly to their websites. Professors and advisors may be useful in identifying institutions abroad that are known for their expertise related to the IIC Program.

  • Required International Experience, No Credit

    This category includes internships, thesis or dissertation research, and language study to fulfill language proficiency requirements. No financial aid is available for this type of program because students will not receive academic credit. They will not be registered at the University of Denver, but if these experiences fulfill requirements of the degree program students will be covered by the University of Denver’s International SOS policy. International experiences for which students are receiving DU funding (i.e. Internationalization grants or departmental funding) may also be eligible for International SOS coverage.  Students should check with the DU Study Abroad office for further details.

  • Optional International Experience, No Credit

    This category includes independent travel, volunteer programs, work abroad, or language study not required by a particular program. Students who are planning on this option are not required to complete any paperwork or register with the Office of International Education. These students are traveling abroad on their own accord and taking on the risks and responsibilities accordingly. DU takes on no responsibility for this type of travel.

This portfolio last updated: 03-Apr-2023 3:16 PM