- Education Doctoral Student (in progress), Curriculum & Instruction, Mathematics Education concentration, Morgridge College of Education, University of Denver, 2016-present.
- M.S., Mathematics, University of Notre Dame, 2006
- B.A., Mathematics, Northwestern University, 2002 Undergraduate Honors Thesis: "Flows, Fixed Points, and the Poincare-Hopf Index Theorem." Adviser: Dr. Keith Burns
- Principal Investigator, MATH 1200 Hybrid Course Redesign (funded by DU NSM-OTL Hybrid Course Initiative), 2012-2013
- Principal Investigator, Creating Online/Hybrid Courses Project: "MATH 1150: "Graph Theory in the Real World" (funded by DU Office of Teaching and Learning), 2012
- Consultant, ECS-MSP Integration Project for Coached Teacher Leaders in K8 Mathematics (funded by Colorado Department of Education), 2013, with Eagle County Schools
- Contributor, "Improving Teacher Quality" $300K grant (funded by Colorado Department of Education), 2011-2012; PIs: Kent Seidel and Nicole Russell, Morgridge College of Education
Awards and Achievements
- Invited Panelist, Learning to Write and Writing to Learn at all Levels of Mathematics, Project NExT pre-workshop, MAA MathFest, Denver, CO, August 1, 2018.
- Faculty Showcase workshop on Teaching for Social Justice in FSEM, February 2018, Office of Teaching and Learning.
Contributed Talk, "Get Up and Find the Graph Theory: IBL activities in a flipped liberal arts mathematics course." MAA Joint Rocky Mountain/Intermountain Sectional Meeting, Inquiry-Based Learning Session, Grand Junction, CO, April 8-9 2016
Poster presentation with Nicole Joseph, "College Aspirations Readiness and Empowerment (CARE) for Black Adolescent Girls", Public Good Poster Session, Center for Community Engagement and Service Learning, University of Denver, February 9, 2015.
- University of Denver Faculty Pioneer Award 2013-2014
- Poster presentation, "Hybrid Hunches, Hints and Hopes: Leveraging Blended Learning to Enhance Student Engagement in Mathematics Classes", OTL Conference, University of Denver, April 2014
- Presenter with Nicole Joseph (Russell),"Designing a Professional Development Series for K-8 Teachers", Teacher-Scholar Forum, Metropolitan State University of Denver, February 2013
- Presenter with Nicole Joseph (Russell), Poster Session, "Designing a Professional Development Series for K-8 Teachers", NCTM Regional Conference, April 2013
- Invited Speaker, "Fridays@DU", University of Denver Office of Admissions, 2012
- Conduct Review Board Recognized Faculty Member 2011-2012 awarded by DU Office of Student Conduct
- Clare Boothe Luce Foundation Graduate Fellowship, University of Notre Dame, August 2002-May 2007
- Outstanding Graduate Student Teacher Award, Kaneb Center for Teaching and Learning, University of Notre Dame, Spring 2006
- Phi Beta Kappa, Alpha of Illinois, Northwestern University, April 2001
- Sentipensante Faculty Learning Community, University of Denver Office of Teaching and Learning, Spring 2019
- NSM Teaching Group regular participant, 2-time presenter
- Teaching Online Short Course, Spring 2018
- Academic Coaching Workshop, 2017
- Inclusive Excellence Forum & NSM Inclusive Excellence Workshops 2017-2018
- Inclusive Excellence Workshop, Fall 2014
- Inquiry Based Learning Workshop, Legacy of R.L. Moore Conference, Denver, CO, June 2014
- NSM Hybrid Course Initiative Workshop, Office of Teaching and Learning, University of Denver, Summer 2012.
- Winter 2012 Teaching Online Workshop, Office of Teaching and Learning, University of Denver.
- FSEM Writing Workshop, University of Denver Writing Program, Summer 2012.
- WebAssign Training, Department of Mathematics, University of Denver, August 2007.
Academic Technology Competencies
Tablet PC teaching, Microsoft OneNote class notebooks, Adobe Connect meeting platform, Zoom, Blackboard and Canvas Learning Management Systems, Echo Smart Pens, WebAssign online homework system, Camtasia Studio, Mathematica, Scientific Notebook, DE Tools, Desmos, some IBM SPSS (basic statistics, correlation, regression). Certified to teach online at the University of Denver.
Curriculum Development at the University of Denver
- MATH 1953 Calculus III Online Curriculum Course, 2018 (Self-Designed)
- MATH 1200: Calculus for Business and Social Sciences, Curriculum Redesign 2017 (with Kelly Flaherty (PI), John Antonioli, Thomas French, Adam Purcilly, and Alex Stevens). Introduced a more application a project-directed curriculum for the course, including basic antiderivatives and definite integrals.
- MATH 1200: Calculus for Business and Social Sciences, Hybrid Redesign, 2012-2013, initial work collaboration among Sharon Butz, Nic Ormes, and Brett Werner, and myself. Additional work in 2013 with Lisa Korf and Florian Sobieczky, with support from staff in the Office of Teaching and Learning. This course was redesigned to give students a "flipped-classroom", collaborative learning experience.
- MATH 1150 "Graph Theory in the Real World", 2012 (hybrid redesign); 2009 (original design). This course introduces liberal arts students to the fundamentals and applications of graph theory. The redesigned hybrid course incorporated online learning and use of Mathematica into the curriculum in order to provide a more engaging and focused classroom experience.
- CUI 4531-1 Supporting ELLS Through the Curriculum, Summer 2011. This course presented mathematics content and teaching pedagogy as well as ELL support to pre-service elementary school teachers in the Aurora Boettcher Teachers Program. Developed in joint collaboration with Jeff Farmer (Mathematics) and Jessica Lerner (Education).
- FSEM 1111: "Mathematics Through Fiction", original design in 2009. This course is a DU First-Year Seminar in which students use mathematical fiction as the starting point for learning various mathematical concepts.
See my "Teaching" tab for more information about the courses I am teaching each year.
Credit Transfer Specialist (Approval of Transfer Course Equivalences), Summer 2013-Present
Course Coordinator, MATH 1200, Fall 2012 and Fall 2015
Course Coordinator, Precalculus, Fall 2012
Advising Liaison, Dual Degree in Mathematics and Education through Morgridge College of Education, 2010-Present
Interim Math Center Director, 2012-2013 Academic Year
Undergraduate Council, Fall 2011-Spring 2013
Participant, Joint Morgridge College of Education-Division of Natural Sciences and Mathematics STEM Collaboration, October 2010-June 2011
Discoveries Academic Programs Committee 2019
Undergraduate Commencement Marshall, 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018
Academic Integrity Board, October 2014-2016
Faculty Senate, Senator At Large, Student Relations Committee, September 2013-May 2015
Conduct Review Board, 2009-2014
Discoveries Orientation Volunteer, 2014
Office of Admissions Ammi Hyde Interviews, 2012
"Fridays@DU" Invited Speaker, 2012