As part of the transition to Digication, Portfolio is going away! Portfolio will be fully decommissioned on July 1, 2024. As of July 1, 2023, there will be a new content freeze in Portfolio. You will not be able to add new pieces of content to your personal or organizational Portfolio. Existing content is still editable. Please continue to migrate your existing content from Portfolio to Digication. For more information about Digication, click here. For a discussion of options for transitioning your content on Portfolio, click here. To learn more about using Digication in your courses, click here.

2012 Fall Quarter Sabbatical. "The Ethics of Seeing".

In the fall of 2012 I had the privilege of going on sabbatical. I chose to do a research project in Bosnia. I was interested in looking at the ethics involved in taking students into cultures other than their own. What should be considered when inserting ourselves into a culture as learners and observers? What boundaries need to be considered? What other questions should we be asking ourselves? To learn from those who struggle with similar issues I interviewed 19 photographers all over Bosnia to learn about their ethical decision making when they are in sensitive situations. Photographers talk about these issues in a concept called "The Ethics of Seeing". It was an extraordinary experience that led me to people with whom I would never have otherwise interacted. I remain grateful to those who shared their time and themselves so generously and to those friends and colleagues who helped me by introducing me to so many interesting people and interpreting for me when needed, which was most of the time.

This portfolio last updated: 08-Feb-2022 8:39 PM