Graduation and Commencement FAQs

• Definitions:

Commencement: Commencement is the symbolic ceremony held by the University to mark the beginning of your new professional life. DU holds commencement ceremonies twice each year  (June and August).

• The act of participating in the commencement ceremony does not mean you have completed/earned your degree. 

Participating: The act of participating in the commencement ceremony; sometimes referred to as “walking,” in reference to crossing the stage during commencement ceremony. 

Graduation or to graduate: Graduation marks the completion and formal conferral of an academic degree.

• This is when DU officially confers your degree. It means your degree is reflected on your transcript and is a part of your record. This happens only after final grades are posted and successful completion of all degree requirements are verified.

FAQ:

Do I have to apply for graduation? If so, how and when?

Yes. Please see the Commencement and Graduation tab for application deadlines and processes.

I have a certificate, how do I ensure I graduate with my certificate?

Please fill out the graduation application twice. Once for your MSW and once for your certificate. If you do not fill out a seperate application for your certificate, you will NOT graduate with a certificate. 

I will complete all my degree requirements in the fall or winter term. When can I participate in the commencement ceremony?

Students who have completed all degree requirements during fall or winter of the current academic year, are welcome to participate in DU’s spring commencement ceremony in June.

I will complete all my degree requirements in the summer term. When can I participate in the commencement ceremony?

Students who have completed all degree requirements during summer of the current academic year, are welcome to participate in DU’s summer commencement ceremony in August.

I have NOT met all the requirements to graduate, but I want to participate in commencement.  Am I allowed to do this? 

Under some circumstances, students who have not yet completed degree requirements are allowed, by petition, to participate in commencement ceremony. For more information, please see the Request to Participate in Commencement Ceremony for Students not Graduating application form and policy.

Do I need tickets for my family and friends to come to DU Commencement? 

Please review the information posted on DU's Commcencement website for complete details. 

How long is the DU Commencement Ceremony?

Spring Commencement (in June) is approximately two hours long. Summer Commencement (in August) is approximately one hour and thirty minutes long.

This portfolio last updated: 30-Sep-2022 2:42 PM